Withdrawal, Leave of Absence, and Reinstatement

University Policy

College of Arts & Sciences Policy

A student wishing to voluntarily withdraw or take a leave of absence from the College must do so by submitting a signed request to the University Service Center (881 Commonwealth Avenue), where he or she may also meet with a member of the University Service Center staff. A withdrawal or leave of absence is effective on the day the signed request is received; tuition and fees are canceled in accordance with the University’s refund schedule, which is published by the Office of the University Registrar and is available on its website. Failure to officially take a leave of absence may jeopardize a student’s privilege to return. Any student who is absent for any reason from the College and returns after a period of three years must complete all requirements in effect at the time of return in order to receive the BA degree.

No student who withdraws or takes a leave of absence may receive academic credit for any portion of the courses taken during that semester.

Reinstatement Students returning from an official leave of absence should meet with their advisor. All others must reestablish their standing in the College. Applications to reestablish standing as a former student are available in CAS Academic Advising at 100 Bay State Road, on the fourth floor. Students who matriculate at another institution must reapply as transfer students through the Admissions Office and are not guaranteed readmission to the College.