Transfer Credit

College of Arts & Sciences Policy

Credits and coursework of incoming transfer students are evaluated by faculty in the corresponding BU academic departments and programs. The transfer credit evaluation is initiated and coordinated by the Office of the University Registrar (OUR).

It is the policy of the College of Arts & Sciences that credits received seven or more years before a student’s expected date of graduation are not transferable.

Ordinarily, credit for courses taken at another accredited college or university will be allowed at the rate of eight CAS semester courses (32 credits) for each full year’s (30 to 32 credit hours) transferable courses taken at another university. Only courses comparable to those offered by the undergraduate schools and colleges of Boston University will be accepted for transfer. Courses taken at other institutions must carry at least 2.5 Boston University credits in order to count as full courses toward fulfillment of specific requirements for the BA at Boston University. The maximum number of credits allowed in transfer is 80; a total of 128 credits are required for graduation.

Transfer students should make every effort to attend the special transfer registration program held during the summer (or in January for January matriculants).

Except under cooperative arrangement, no matriculated student may carry courses concurrently in another institution. Grades from courses taken at external colleges and universities (except coursework undertaken as part of the College’s consortium agreement) will not be included in the student’s grade point average (GPA) or appear on the student’s Boston University transcript.

Students considering taking a non-BU course abroad for transfer credit must consult with the BU Study Abroad Program Manager for External Programs prior to applying for an international study program in order to determine if the program they have selected is acceptable under University policy. Transfer credit must be approved in advance. No credit will be given for courses that do not receive official BU approval in advance.

See also Summer Study at Other Universities.