The faculty and the staff of the Department of Psychiatry at Boston University School of Medicine affirm the following mission statement for the department, including its enterprise for clinical care, research, and training.
We endorse the following ACGME core competencies:
- Patient care that is compassionate, appropriate, and effective for the treatment of health problems and promotion of health.
- Provide trainees and faculty with the latest medical knowledge about established and evolving biomedical, clinical, and cognate sciences, and the application of this knowledge to clinical care.
- Emphasize practice-based learning and improvement that involves investigation and evaluation of the faculty’s and trainees’ own patient care, appraisal and assimilation of scientific evidence, and improvements in patient care.
- Develop interpersonal and communication skills that result in effective information exchange and teaming with patients, their families, and other health professionals.
- Emphasize professionalism, as manifested through a commitment to carrying out professional responsibilities, adherence to principles, and sensitivity to a diverse population.
- Develop skills in systems-based practice, as manifested by actions that demonstrate an awareness and responsiveness to the larger context and system of health care and the ability to effectively call on system resources to provide care that is of optimal value.
With these guiding principles, the Department of Psychiatry:
- Trains medical students in the clinical concepts necessary to facilitate effective doctor-patient interactions, as well as implement the finest educational programs for mental health trainees of all disciplines. To teach them to recognize, diagnose, and treat patients suffering with mental illness across a variety of health care settings.
- Performs basic and clinical research relevant to the understanding and development of new treatments for patients with mental illness. Our goal is to advance and deepen our understanding of the causes of psychiatric illnesses to facilitate the development of more effective diagnostic, treatment, and prevention strategies for a wide array of psychiatric disorders.
- Trains a new generation of psychiatrists, psychologists, and other mental health providers by providing them with didactic and clinical experiences developed by expert faculty.
- Provides exceptional clinical care without exception to patients of all ages and backgrounds using therapeutic modalities most appropriate to the patients’ needs and provided by specialists in the field and by trainees under the supervision of outstanding practitioners and teachers.