BU’s Padua programs take place in a lively town that’s home to one of the oldest universities in the world. Classes are taught both at the BU Padua Academic Center and the Università degli Studi di Padova (UNIPD). Open to BU students only, the spring-semester Padua Management Internship Program consists of management courses, an Italian language and culture course, and an academic internship for credit. Students directly enroll in the University of Padua Department of Business and Economics and have access to all University of Padua facilities and services.
Requirements & Considerations
The Padua Management Internship Program offers a spring-semester internship program consisting of two or three management courses, an Italian language and culture course, and an internship for credit. Students directly enroll in the University of Padua Department of Business and Economics and have access to all University of Padua facilities and services.
Required Course List
All students are required to enroll in the Internship course. Those students with no previous knowledge of Italian must enroll in the Italian language and culture course, taught at the BU Padua Center.
- CAS EC 497 Internship in Business/Economics (4 credits)
- The Management Internship course has been designed to introduce students to the Italian market and business environment from historical, political, and economic perspectives, and to contextualize the internship into both a European and a local view. Students will learn about institutions and trade unions as interlocutors in the market environment; types of companies, jobs, contracts, and policies as well as labor rights and behavior, and also about the cultural component as a relevant part of the work environment.
- CAS LI 130 Introduction to Italian Language and Culture (4 credits)
- This course is meant for students with no knowledge of Italian who will be introduced to everyday life and academic life in Italy. The course aims at developing mainly the abilities of language comprehension and production. Language is approached mainly from the communicative side which implies learning vocabulary, generic and specific, and grammar structures in use. Authentic oral and written material analyzed in class is acquired and practiced by reinforcing activities by on-site classes and out of class activities in the real life context which are all different modalities adopted by of the course.
BU Padua Elective Courses in English
- QST FE 449 Corporate Finance (4 credits)
- This is an introductory course in corporate finance, that introduces students to the most important concepts and principles in corporate finance. It provides students with the knowledge and the basic skills that allow them to deal with many aspects of a company’s finances and capital. Specifically, the course covers four main topics: Financial Statement Analysis; Value and Capital Budgeting; Capital Structure and Financing Decisions; Options. Upon completion of this course, students should be able to critically evaluate what long-term investments a firm should take, what mixture of debt and equity should use to fund its operations and they are expected to be able to read, interpret and analyze companies’ financial statements in order to evaluate their current and future performance.
- QST IM 471 Made in Italy: Excellence of Bello, Buono e Ben Fatto (4 credits)
- This course will introduce students to the world famous Made in Italy, a complex system of brilliant entrepreneurs and companies embodying the spirit of the Italian excellence, proposing a variegated selection of products and services in which Italy ranks among the best, thanks to a historical tradition, a strong degree of specialization, continuous improvements and innovation, outstanding quality, and a high level of customization. The course will focus on business models, unique competitive advantages, domestic and international growth, creativity and innovation strategies, economic and financial drivers.
- The course has a strong experiential component, as it offers students the opportunity to have company visits, learn from CEOs and entrepreneurs who have made Italy well-known all over the world.
Please refer to Questrom’s lists of pre-approved courses. School of Hospitality Administration students, please refer to Questrom’s lists of pre-approved courses and consult with your academic advisor. Students in all Fall and Spring programs have the opportunity to enroll in The Global Learning Experience at no additional cost.
University of Padua Elective Courses in English
The Global Learning Experience: An Online Course
The Global Learning Experience: An Online Course
Please refer to Questrom’s lists of pre-approved courses. School of Hospitality Administration students, please refer to Questrom’s lists of pre-approved courses and consult with your academic advisor.
Students in all Fall and Spring programs have the opportunity to enroll in The Global Learning Experience at no additional cost.
Housing & Student Services
- 1 - 2 students per household
- Students will have a private bedroom with shared bathroom, kitchen, and living spaces.
- Kitchen available for occasional use with permission from host family.
- Partial board included - four dinners with host family per week, breakfast included. All other meals are paid for by the student, out of pocket.
- All students apply for a student ID that allows them access to University of Padua, including their cafeterias. No dining hall at BU Padua Center.
- Laundry facilities available in host homes.
- Study facilities available at BU Padua Center and libraries around University of Padua. Athletic facilities available for an extra charge locally.
- Spring Semester: Early-January to late May
Please note that this program is only offered during the spring semester.
- Spring Semester: October 2
Cost & Financial Considerations
- 2017/2018 Tuition & Fees: $23,869
Cost includes tuition, housing, excursions, overseas medical insurance and emergency travel assistance coverage.
- 2017 to 2018 academic year budget sheet, including cost of living expenses.
- Financial aid available
- Special Padua Research Scholarship is available for Boston University students.