The Los Angeles Summer Internship-Only Program gives BU students the possibility to work professionally in the heart of the film and television industries. Students spend 10 weeks interning full time in the areas of production, casting, and development, as well as in journalism, talent management, management and promotion, or other related areas.
Requirements & Considerations
- Open to undergraduate and graduate students except current undergraduate advertising or public relations majors (Undergraduate AD/PR majors should enroll in the 12-credit summer option).
- Admission requirements for all programs
Students enroll in a four-credit internship placement. The course number will depend on the field of specialization in which students complete their internships. Placements are contingent upon the student’s past experience, professional interests, language ability, and available opportunities in any given semester; flexibility is essential.
Internship Course List
Examples of past placements have included ABC, E! Entertainment, Fox Broadcasting Company, Lionsgate, Sony, 451 Marketing, Hulu, Conan, and Fabrik but are subject to change in any given semester, depending on availability.
- COM FT 493/494 (4 credits)
- Opportunity for students to gain professional experience at television and radio stations, film and video production houses, and other media institutions.
- CAS EC 497 Internship (4)
- Study the current economic, political, and social issues affecting the entertainment industry. Internship placements have included Paramount Pictures Finance Department, Essential Entertainment, Shine-Reveille, Fox Sports, NBCUniversal, and Sonic Management.
- COM CM 809 Graduate Internship (4)
- The internship is one of the primary academic and professional pillars of the Los Angeles Internship Program. Students are introduced to industry environments in their respective fields at sites where they will see the work of industry professionals and participate “in the business.” Students are required to intern for a minimum of 20 hours per week. Progress is monitored through student journal entries and a final paper in which students reflect on their education and experience over the semester.
Housing & Student Services
- Students share furnished apartments at the Park LaBrea Apartments in Los Angeles.
- The apartments have two bedrooms with two occupants per bedroom. Each apartment has a shared kitchen stocked with cooking utensils.
- Singles are available on a space-available basis for a supplemental fee.
- Students have full access to amenities offered through this centrally located apartment complex.
- Although board is not included, students can easily walk to nearby grocery stores and restaurants.
- The apartments have on-site laundry facilities.
- Summer Term: Late May to early August
- Summer Term: March 1