The Kyoto Consortium for Japanese Studies program provides students for an academic year or Fall Semester to enroll directly at the Kyoto Consortium for Japanese Studies (KCJS) in Kyoto, Japan. One year of college-level Japanese language is required to be admissible. KCJS is based at the Imadegawa campus of Doshisha University located just north of the Imperial Palace in the center of Kyoto. Each semester, students take an eight-credit course in Japanese language. Additional disciplinary-based courses in the humanities and social sciences are taught in English by Japanese and American professors. Students can choose to live with Japanese families through a homestay program or live in apartments.
Requirements & Considerations
- All students must enroll according to, and remain in compliance with, the Boston University Study Abroad Course Load Policy.
- Boston University students only
- One year of college-level Japanese or the equivalent
- Three semesters of Japanese is required for the Spring Semester
- The Kyoto Consortium for Japanese Studies’ admissions criteria require study abroad students to have a minimum overall GPA of 3.0, as well as a minimum GPA of 3.0 in Japanese language courses. Participants are also required to maintain a minimum overall GPA of 3.0 throughout the duration of the program. Students with a GPA below a 3.0 may be considered on a case by case basis and should contact BU Study Abroad before applying.
- Academic year students are given preference
- Admissions requirements for all programs
- Final admissions decisions are made by KCJS/Columbia University
For more information, please contact us at email@example.com.
Housing & Student Services
- All housing is a 20-45 minute commute to KCJS campus
- Homestay, single rooms in home; or small fully furnished apartments
- Most students live with Japanese families, two meals per day are included when living in a homestay
- Students living in apartments are provided a lunch subsidy but must provide their own breakfast and dinner
- Fall Semester: early September to mid December
- Spring Semester: early January to late April
- Academic Year: early September to late April
- Fall Semester or Academic Year: March 15
- Spring Semester: September 15
(Please note that the Columbia application may not yet be available for your chosen semester.)
Cost & Financial Considerations
- 2018/2019 Tuition: $26,620
Cost includes tuition, international medical insurance, and emergency evacuation coverage.
- Estimated program budget, including cost of living expenses.
- Financial aid is available.