Université de Paris VIII (Vincennes-Saint-Denis), Paris, France
The Boston University-Université de Paris VIII (Vincennes-Saint-Denis) exchange program is well-suited for humanities and social sciences faculty, notably in art history, philosophy, anthropology, sociology, French and comparative literature, gender studies, linguistics, and political science.
Exchanges may consist of invitations to lecture, conduct seminars and colloquia, or to participate in other academic activities of Paris VIII.
Number of Participants
One BU faculty participates in 1:1 exchange with Paris VIII faculty per year.
Length of Stay
Up to four weeks at Paris VIII.
BU will cover the cost of round-trip transportation to Paris—including reasonable standard round-trip airfare and associated ground transportation, as well as a per diem allowance for meals. Paris VIII will pay faculty for the duration of one month at the same rate as their French colleagues at the same level. Paris VIII will also provide a living stipend, provided the stay does not exceed 10 days. Costs associated with traveling companions will not be covered and are the responsibility of the scholar.
French language skills are beneficial but may not be required.
- A proposal (maximum of two pages) that describes a project(s) which:
- Is relevant to a topic to the research currently pursued by faculty members at Paris VIII, or connected with the special resources of that scholarly community.
- Can be accomplished within the available time;
- Will benefit from the opportunity to work with students and scholars at Paris VIII. Applicants are strongly encouraged to identify and contact specific individuals at the Academy with whom they intend to collaborate, in advance of submitting an application;
- Details pertaining to other sources or potential sources of funding (travel grants etc.);
- Proposed timetable/dates and an indication of flexibility regarding dates; and
- A curriculum vitae of no more than four pages.
Willis Wang, Vice President and Associate Provost for Global Programs
888 Commonwealth Avenue, Mezzanine
Boston, MA 02215
Final selection of participants is made by Paris VII, as BU candidates are considered in competition with other foreign scholars applying to visit Paris VIII.
Participating faculty will be asked to submit a brief report summarizing their work at the Paris VIII. Such feedback is useful for maintaining a productive collaboration with BU’s partner institution, and for improving the faculty experience