Boston University students who participate in study abroad or off-campus programs offered through BU Study Abroad during fall or spring semester are eligible to receive most forms of financial aid and should apply for those funds as they normally do, through the Boston University Financial Assistance office. However, some adjustments to financial aid award packages may be necessary. Some common adjustments are listed below:
- Your initial financial aid award may be adjusted based on the study abroad program cost of attendance. You can view and download your program cost breakdown from your program page, under the Cost & Financial Considerations tab.
- If you are awarded a Supplemental Grant, which requires you to live in a Charles River residence, it will be canceled.
- If you have Federal Work-Study, it will be adjusted based on the amount you earned or will earn during the semester you are in Boston.
Please contact the Financial Assistance office directly for information on how your financial aid award package may be adjusted.
Recommendations from BU Financial Assistance
Listed below are suggestions from the Financial Assistance office for students who will be studying abroad or off campus:
- Before you leave:
- Submit a credit release request if you want to access credit from your student account
- Update your home address and phone number on the StudentLink
- Apply for a federal PIN to access FAFSA online (if applying for federal financial aid for the first time)
- For spring semester or full-year program participants, arrange to complete by the date noted on the Financial Assistance website.
- File FAFSA
- File CSS/PROFILE
- Send taxes, parent taxes, W2 to CSS/PROFILE
- Pay Spring balance
- Check StudentLink for any additional information requested by Financial Assistance
- Notify Financial Assistance of any special circumstances